Scottish Land & Estates believes that a range of flexible options must be created to deliver local solutions to housing need. Scottish Land & Estates is working to increase the affordable housing supply in rural Scotland by:
- Increasing effective land supply through planning, infrastructure and stakeholder engagement.
- Bringing empty and redundant buildings back into use.
- Working in partnership with public sector bodies.
- Raising awareness of rural planning policy to facilitate affordable housing, particularly in relation to rural exception sites.
- Providing advice and guidance on current delivery mechanisms, such as the provision of affordable self build plots with rural housing burdens attached.
- Supporting those developing properties through the rural homes for rent grant pilot and lobbying the Scottish Government for further funding for this delivery mechanism.
- Partnership working with other agencies to develop innovative solutions.
- Exploring the use of legal and planning agreements to deliver affordable housing in perpetuity.
In Our Rural Future, published earlier this year by the Scottish Government recognises the need to continue to strengthen partnerships between landowners, local authorities and housing associations in the provision of affordable housing.