This committee assists with legal and taxation issues arising out of matters of policy being considered by other internal committees. Chaired by David Houldsworth WS, it consists of solicitors, accountants and land agents from some of the leading Scottish professional practices. It meets at least twice annually.
Within this committee, there are a number of permanent, specialist sub-groups, in addition to ad hoc groups formed to consider specific issues. This allows detailed and technical representations to be made of the many papers emanating from the Scottish Government, the Scottish Parliament and Westminster which may have repercussions for Scottish landowners and rural businesses.
Permanent sub-groups include:
- Taxation, in which pre-budget and other representations are submitted to HM Treasury and there is close liaison with the CLA on taxation matters.
- Agricultural Holdings which scrutinises proposed legislative changes and supports Scottish Land & Estates representatives on the Tenant Farming Forum.
- Crofting, which scrutinises proposed legislative changes.
- Planning Policy, which scrutinises proposed legislative changes and advises on relevant Planning issues.
- National Wayleave payments, which advises and assists with negotiations at a national level on recommended utility wayleave payments.
Ad hoc sub-groups include:
- Wildlife and Natural Environment (Scotland) Act, which assists with advice on the implications of this new statute, including vicarious liability for wildlife crime.
- Historic Environment (Scotland) Act.
- Succession Law, which will scrutinise any Consultation paper on proposed changes as they may affect landowners and farmers.
- The Scotland Bill, which monitors and reports on the proposed UK legislation following the recommendations of the Calman Report.
- Long Leases legislation.